So I guess this was inevitable but RTE sent a cease and desist letter to me via the Windows Phone marketplace tonight. Their reasons for asking for me to take down the app were that I was using the RTE logo (fair enough) and for using the public RSS feeds which according to their terms are for personal use only....even though I never made a cent from the app.
Just a quick post to say that my RTE News Reader app for Windows Phone has been upgraded to version 1.6. This new version fixes a small bug that prevented users from re-read the same article after they returned to the article from IE. The big improvement for this version is that the app now displays the content from rte.ie within it. I don't open up the web browser in a separate window anymore.
This proved a little tricky to do as it meant I had to scrape the site and parse the HTML. I did this by using the excellent HTML Agility Pack for Windows Phone. The one gotcha here was that I had to make sure I encoded my web calls correctly. The default encoding was making Irish words or euro symbols come out all weird.
It's great to get another release of this app out the door. Hopefully you'll like it!
Over Christmas I decided to dip my toes into making a Windows Phone app for my Lumia 800. If there's one app that I was missing when I moved over to Windows Phone from iOS it was the RTE app. There was no official app so I went about making a quick little app to pull in their RSS feed and make readings the news stories a bit easier to consume on the phone.
I ran into an issue the other day where I wanted to use one of the default icon set images for my new Windows Phone app. I followed the guides online and took the images from the Windows Phone SDK on my computer and pasted them into my project.
However, every time I ran my project I noticed the image was not displaying. I would just get a nice looking X in a circle (I guess it's the new "red X"!). To resolve this issue you need to right click on the icon(s) you want and select Properties. When the Property window opens change the Build Action to Content. For me, this was defaulting to Resource and was the reason that the image would not appear for me in the application bar.